Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thor's Day

I have a Norwegian roommate. He is about as different from me as a person can be.

Can I confess how much I love the show "Top Chef." I just really love seeing people work through problems. Real people doing real problem solving. I don't always agree with the judges, and last year I felt that Tiffani and Lee Anne showed more inventiveness than Harold did, but Harold came through week after week. Trivia: all three were 28 years old at the time. Is that when people generally reach their creative peaks? Maybe.

I need a snack.

The election wasn't so much a victory for the Dems as it was a stunning self-inflicted defeat on the part of the Elephants. I hate talking about politics unless I have three or four hours to talk, uninterrupted. I need that long just to explain my policy position. Maybe I should move in with Al Gore. I find that when people really clearly understand the facts, variables, cost-benefit data and implications, the issues really narrow. That, in my opinion, is why the "hot button" issues increasingly come to the fore. They're easy to define, easy to sound-bite and most of them don't really impact that many people. Abortion, gay marriage, death penalty. These are issues that move quickly and easily into black and white territory. But health care, deficit, middle east policy ... those issues are much harder to discuss.

I saw "Borat" again last night. Didn't really enjoy the second viewing. The first viewing [I saw it in preview last Summer] was awesome. I only want to see movies in preview from now on.

5 Comments:

Blogger SUEB0B said...

I was just thinking about how the Dems shouldn't get cocky about the election. They won because people voted for the lesser of two evils, not for a party they were wild about.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Janet Evening said...

See the movies before they get shredded and corrected and you don't already know all the lines, right? Good policy.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

What did you think of Borat? Everything I'm hearing about it sounds so completely offensive.

4:58 AM  
Blogger TB said...

I think Sasha Baren Cohen is a genius. Although it's a little sad that the funniest parts of the movie come from the real people who are not acting. I wonder how long he'll be able to keep fooling people now.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I was strongly urged to come over here and comment. So here I am. Commenting.

Um, what was the question?

Oh yes. Top Chef is one of my guilty pleasures, too, but I don't think this season is as good as last season.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home