Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

All-Time Todds


Yes, it's well-known. I'm a lister. A harmless drudge to be certain.

And for some reason it struck me to make a list of the best baseball players named "Todd." Why? For a couple of reasons. First, Todd - as a name - has high comedic potential. Bill Murray pretty much made his name as the noogie-maven Todd on the old SNL. Todd Flanders, the younger son of Ned, of course lives in cartoon infamy, for [in Ned's words] "having the Devil's curly hair." And we need not speak of Todd Rundgren.

Second, there is neither a longer version, a diminutive nor a female version of the name Todd. Todd is Todd.

Third, Todd seems to be a product of the mid to late 1960s, my era. The era of wussy, surf movie names. Names like Jay, Dennis, Chas, Scott, Tommy, Bobby, Kurt and my name. And Todd. If you look at the baseball record, above, you'll see that most of the Todds played in the 1990s. So, like the Nehru jacket and Cuban heels, the name Todd is destined to fade away, a product of its brief era.

So, with that, here is my list of all-time baseball Todds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home