Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Post of the Day

I wrote a really long post about the immigration issue and haven't posted it yet. I need to so some more research, because unlike most of the yokels with some opinion on the issue, I want to have some facts behind me before I spout off. But don't hold your breath waiting for me to post it. I can only say that I'm happy that the 3 remaining presidential candidates are at least semi-enlightened on the topic.

I had a run-in with a consultant who is running some projects at my workplace. In short, this guy browbeat me for about 45 minutes, was completely hostile and disrespectful towards me. Even when I worked for places where it was clear I did not fit in [such as the San Jose law firm, where I would have agreed with most of their criticisms of me], I was treated with respect. This is a new low, and it is happening so late in my career. One can take nothing for granted, it seems. Even the terra firma gets a little mushy sometimes.

One of my favorites songwriters [from a notoriously dark era, the late 1970s] passed away a long time ago - 1997 - and I didn't even know it. His name was Peet Coombes. When I was about 16, a friend who managed a record store recommended the Tourists record to me ["Reality Effect"] In short, since then, I've never been without it. Such a great record. The young Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart were in that group. She would perform shows in a wedding dress. Fortunately, the songs were gimmick-free. They were mostly a power pop band, devoid of most of the excesses of the New Wave era. Sort of a less quirky Buzzcocks with female vocals and better songs.

Saw Aimee Mann live a couple of weeks ago at Vibiana, in downtown Los Angeles. The new songs are great, the hall was awful. Beautiful space, terrible acoustics. I had a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home