Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

End of the Weekend Madness


So the weird turn pro? At what point?

For example, about 13 years ago, I dated a really nice woman, J. for 5 years. J. has a younger sister, a very intelligent, very conservative blogger named, for my purposes here, D. Here's where it gets interesting. There has been an Internet hoax circulating, that purports to show a copy of Sarah Palin's grades and SAT score [reproduced above.] It turns out that the "template", if you will, was taken from D.'s grades, which she posted on her own site [yes, she posted her own grades on the internet. And some deign to call me solipsistic.] So, some pro-Obama hoaxers were attempting to discredit Palin [who was an honors student, I'm sorry to say to the liberals in the audience] with the heavily altered report card of another controversial conservative and very attractive woman.

I would suppose that implicit in there, somewhere, is the prejudiced idea that if a person, especially an attractive woman, is conservative, she must be stupid. Where are the feminists out there defending against these allegations?

Not to say that there aren't stupid conservatives out there. A co-worker, like me, male and middle aged, was having a loud protracted conversation with another co-worker on Friday morning. Seems that this guy couldn't decide who to vote for. He might vote for McCain, but [and I quote] "for selfish reasons" he might vote for Obama. What might these selfish reasons be, I wondered? Greater chance that Armageddon might happen if Obama wins. So he would be able to meet Jesus a little quicker.

Maybe that makes him dumb, or maybe he just has bigger balls than I do.

In my fair burg, the "Yes On 8" people are everywhere. To these people, teaching one's children that men can marry men and women marry women is just too horrific a thought. What was nice, and actually touching to me, was that the "No On 8" demonstrations in my area were largely DIY efforts thrown together by kids. And I mean young "under 18" kids. With homemade signs. It was very cool to see the activism from these youngsters.

If you can't tell by now, fiscally I'm conservative, socially, I think the government should be largely absent. I even have qualms with the government getting involved with the legal aspects of marriage. When women needed legal protection [because of pervasive and powerful legal and societal discrimination], it made sense. But now? Why? To me, family law seems to be the relic of another age.

That's enough politics. I was in the Ralph's yesterday, buying them out of low fat sugar-free yogurt as I do on a weekly basis. And the Christina Aguilera song "Fighter" blared over the store's background music system. Really loud. It's a nice song and all, but I don't know that I want to pick out my bran flakes to it. So mercifully, the song ended. And what played next? Talk about a change of pace: "Blowing in the Wind" as sung by Peter Paul and Mary. Now, for the next two and a half minutes, I swear to you, everybody my age [45] or older in the store was softly singing along. Surreal but nice little moment.

And what is with supermarket music nowadays? When did Matthew Sweet, Jane Siberry, Belle & Sebastian, Nanci Griffith and other staples of my musical diet become acceptable as being background music? Bring back Horst Jankowsky!

Back to the World Series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home