Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Why It Is What It Is

Crazy. We live in absolutely crazy times. I would hate to be a person afraid of massive, glacial change. Because we live in a time where by this time next year, gas could be 10 cents a gallon. But try to find that dime.

The changes aren't limited to economic ones, either. In fact, the economic changes are being driven by larger cultural and technological issues. People everywhere are living differently. You can't give laptops to children in the slums of Buenos Aries and expect things to remain the same.

I was talking with three pretty bright co-workers, and they were talking about a recent book. I just happened to say that publishing houses were done. Record companies, done. Magazines and newspapers, done. Next up, movie studios [as we know them now] ... done. Because the business models depended on scarce access. Difficult access. Within 5 years, people will be able to make and distribute their own movies. Felicia Day will be the norm, not the exception.

Maybe people will pay for public appearances of celebrities, since that's the only scarcity that will still exist. Maybe celebrities will cease to exist. People will hunger for something else. Who knows.

One more or less scarce commodity will be Ryan Adams, or Dave, as I call him. He's announced his retirement from music and blogging. We can only wonder if the latter is worth the former.

I tried to slog through Sarah Kate Silverman's "Jesus is Magic" last night. Couldn't make it. She telegraphs all her punchies like a shameless mug. I just can't get past that. She's one of the cool kids, can't get over being one of the cool kids ... just don't like the conceit. And her material just isn't very witty for the most part. She's no Chappelle, or Gervais ...

Speaking of the Master, I got a chance to watch Gervais' recent HBO special. Pure genius.

One last thought: Windows Vista is pants.

1 Comments:

Blogger angel apologist said...

...Why pick on Sarah ???? Is it because of her snotty, I'm way too hip for the room comments about THAT OTHER SARAH ???????

.....I would pay $300 if I could replace the effing Vista in my laptop with XP... or even better, 95.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home