Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ventura Highway in the Sunshine


Made the mad dash up to Napa on the 101 on Saturday, sadly too late to have dinner with my friend D. but ingested some mediocre machaca with his lovely southern bride at a Mexican diner. Drove up to see the wedding of T. & S. who, each, are undertaking their first walk down the primrose path. And it really was a path strewn with rose petals. So much for the imagination.

Nice wedding, both the officiant and the co-officiant were funny and seemed mostly familiar with the bride and groom. Which is better than the alternative. And the ceremony was short-ish. Not Vegas short, but still short enough.

But after the ceremony, family & friends toasted the couple and that is when I was somehow transported into a Henry Jaglom movie. I had to leave at that point, as being in that particular director's movies brings out the worst in me. I really felt as if a group of actors were improvising toasts, working on their craft.

This is why I do not take hallucinogens. How could I tell when they wore off?

To placate my friends who insist that the 5 freeway is faster than the 101 [and also to avoid daytime traffic in San Jose, Santa Barbara and Ventura, all of which are INSANE these days], I took the 5 home today and made it in under 6 hours. It's just about the same length either way - about 410 miles. If you want to listen to more Heart on FM radio, take the 5. The 101 stations are somewhat better overall.

Finished reading "Grub" by my author friend Elise Blackwell. I started really caring about the characters [after initially being overwhelmed by the sheer number of characters that you do have to really follow and remember important and defining traits - as I read, I made a list of them with notes!] about a third of the way in, and then I couldn't put it down. And I found the characters very compelling, their psychological make up - their sociological DNA, as it were. As it [properly] reserves moral judgment [mostly], it does seem to be either a cynical book, or perhaps designedly unwilling to judge the fates of the various protagonists. So, to borrow from Gatsby, there is no Nick, and no eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg are looking down, but there are plenty of ash heaps. So the question "How do you feel about all these people and their various works and fates?" is left to the reader. And what role could be more fitting when reading a book about writing.

So in the end, she has written a book about reading? [Many of the writers comment on how their works will be read, who will read them, how the work will be perceived. Very modernistic!] I would say so. It is a very fine book [and ARCs are already for sale on eBay and Half.com and so forth] so buy it.

All for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home