Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Time To Call It

Senator Obama trounced Senator Clinton in the Wisconsin primary tonight. By around 17 points. That's impressive.

Here are some of my thoughts, as it appears we are standing on the precipice of history here.

Senator Obama is the most dynamic speaker I have ever seen in a candidate. His charisma and personality are incredible. Simply put, the man is a force of nature.

Even with his incredible personal magnetism, I am at odds with the Senator.

For example, I do not favor Senator Obama's position on withdrawal from Iraq. I was opposed to the war, but do not think you can abandon the effort at this point, unless you are prepared to (a) cede the area to hostile forces, and/or allow tribal violence and potentially genocide to occur, and (b) airlift all the displaced Iraqi exiles who would like exile back to the US. Does anyone else remember the population explosion of Vietnamese [esp. in Southern California] that occured in the late 1970s and early 1980s? I do.

While I do not approve of Senator Obama's position, I am glad he is taking it because it will sharpen the debate about the war during the campaign. As will the differing views of Senators McCain and Obama on immigration [although, I believe that if they got together in private, they'd have much common ground on this issue.] And the economy. And health care.

The additional problem I have with Senator Obama is his position on business. It is naive to think that corporations exist as some sort of cash cow that can be and should be milked in order to make up for whatever class inequities exist. Unless you are prepared to accelerate the economic slowdown. It's hard enough [and dangerous] to impose large social policies on a vibrant economy. Much of the malaise of the 1970s was attributed to the "guns and butter" policies of Johnson and Nixon [coupled with the oil crisis.] Both of these factors are present now, and any aggressive social program mandate could easily place us into a lengthy recession.

So, while I do believe that he presents a very positive symbol of social change, I resist the substance of his platform. But he is a brilliant man, without question. I don't know whether that is enough at this point. Were he more moderate on the above issues, it would not be a close call. But it is not up to me. History is speaking to us, and its voice is getting louder and louder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home