Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Virtual Wild, Wild West

The internet is better than it was ... but it's still not as good as it was back in 1999 - 2001. That truly was the wild west era of the internet.

I hope someone writes a book about that era. The era of Suck.com. Napster, in its original incarnation. Peapod, Pets.com ... stores would literally take a loss to get your business ... they'd pay you to "acquire" you as a customer. People would send away for free toothpaste, clothes, whathaveyou.

It was the era of "Bathe with Jesus" [the dude had www.jesus.com as his URL]. The rent-a-genius dude, who really was just another egotistical middle-aged wimp, mad at his ex. Of "Pork Pork Pork." All the good stuff.

I miss it. It seemed like there were real people behind the websites, that people were connecting with each other. Once I posted some Cretones songs on Napster, and someone in Chile instant messaged me, thanking me for doing it. I was able to download so much cool stuff ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home