Attitudinal

I'm informed you have a differing opinion.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

I'm Livin' on the air in Cincinnati ...

... Cincinnati, WKRP.

I can't get that song out of my head.

I'm in the Cincinnati airport right now. I've been here in the river city for a little over a day. It's snowing [lightly] and I fly out in about 2 hours. We'll see how well the big bird handles a little weather, eh?

I've had a four-way [Skyline Chili, that is.] I could swear there is a Greek influence in the spices for that stuff. Cinnamon and chocolate are indicated as ingredients. Altogether, you need to cut the usual amount of cheese they give you in half. Otherwise, you get a mouthful of cheese and it inhibits your ability to taste the chili. I mean, what good is a mouthful of cheese?

Cinci, as I call it, having been here twice now, seems like a pretty nice city. The people are friendly but make much less eye contact than in most cities I've been to. It's an old city, and the freeway from the airport handles both commuter traffic and commerce up to Canada and it was packed this morning, much worse than LA commuter traffic [especially due to the wall-to-wall semis whizzing by]. I can only imagine what it is like if there is an accident [that's how it was in the Bay Area. Bad during peak times was usual, and if there was an accident on either bridge, you'd just give up. Traffic would literally come to a stop for tens of miles with no hope for movement. That almost never happens in LA.]

A couple of unusual things. In the Sheraton, where I stayed, they had just remodeled. Very nicely done. And someone decided that it would be appropriate to pipe in some mood music to the restaurant and common areas. And the songs would alternate between classic 40s/50s/early 60s jazz vocal [the amazing Julie London, Sinatra, Lou Rawls] and trance-electonica music. Like on the Geico caveman commercial where our hero is walking through the airport [the song is called "Remind Me" by someone or something named Röyksopp.] Who on earth thinks that one of the most beautiful and organic forms of music [I'm referring to JAZZ here folks, not trance] melds well with the least organic most soulless form of music, electronica? This is a scandal, people! Wake up before they take away your essential rights!

Ah well. I will go back to chubby people watching and searching seat cushions for change. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home